Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Tao

I find myself reading the Tao Te Ching very often of late and I find that I much prefer it to the Bible (heresy!). Personally, I believe that all world religions are equally good paths to the same source whether that source is called God, the Tao, Allah, Yahweh, etc. They are like rivers leading to the sea. To be honest though, in this Judeo-Christian society I have always felt like somewhat of an outcast for not embracing Christianity as vehemently as others. But when reading the Bible I simply am unable to decipher the meaning or the truth behind it, not to say that it isn't there but perhaps I am simply to dense to see it! In contrast I find the Tao Te Ching to be simple and straightforward. It is easy to find the meaning because you do not have to sift through the layers of a story, rather you absorb the chapter and you spontaneously understand it. Not that you can really understand the Tao because if you claim to understand it then you do not understand it at all. Sounds quite paradoxical doesn't it? Rest easy because I think if you read it you will "absorb" what I'm saying.

1 comment:

Schenck said...

It's cuz all them papal councils and shit be messin' up the Bible, changin' it around and editing it like a newspaper article... Don't believe me? Read one of them old-school gospel's, like Thomas' (heresy!) it's actually somewhat resemblant of the Tao in form and lyricism (but it's still kind of garbled, being directly translated from the Dead Sea scrolls).