Thursday, January 3, 2008

Jesus vs. Buddha

Ok so the other day my boyfriend and I got into an argument. I said something to the effect that he should pray to Jesus for something or other and he said, "No, I’d rather pray to Buddha". And for some reason this really bothered me. Now keep in mind I am not a hardcore Christian, I don’t go to church, and I don’t really read the bible but what he said upset me. And I thought "Why would you choose Buddha over Jesus". Not to say that I think that Jesus is better than Buddha because I believe that all religions are equally good and that all religious Gods/lesser deities/prophets/etc. are equally good and are reflections of the one true "God" which is the unnameable force at work in the universe that goes by many names by many different religions. Moreover, not only are all the worlds prophets and deities reflections of the same god but we human beings are also reflections of God. So I am god, you are god, the bum on the street is god, etc. But I realized the thing that bothered me was not the idea the he would pray to Buddha over Jesus or anyone else but the notion that Jesus was not a God. Upon further discussion my boyfriend pointed out that he believed that either all religious beings are Gods or none of them are, and he was operating under the principle that none of them were gods. So after some more debate he and I came to the conclusion that we would consider all religious beings as God’s. Now I don’t claim to know the answers because if I did I wouldn’t know anything at all but to me this seems to make the most sense so I’m gonna stick with it.

No comments: